Sunday, October 30, 2011

Superheros!

This past week I had orders for two different Superheroes, and there were so much fun to make! So today I am (finally) going to show you how I made them

The first superhero order I had was for my friend's son's fourth birthday. He loooves everything Batman, so when she asked for Cake Pops I knew just what to make. I started out with some oval shaped cake pops, and I used chocolate dipped sunflower seeds to make the pointy ear things in Batman's mask.

The next step was to dip the pops in Peach Candy Melts, to give them the color of batman's skin. Once they dried, I dipped the top half in Black Chocolate Candy Melts. I actually piped the black chocolate on instead of dipping the whole thing, because I feel like I have more control when I use a piping bag. THis was the first time I had used (or even heard of) Blomer's Chocolate, and it was amazing! It melted very smooth and had a nice finish, tasted good, and didn't turn all of the kids' mouths black (unlike another brand which I despise...)

The last step was to pipe on the eyes. This is the part that I would probably do differently next time. It was late, I was tired, and I couldn't think of a nice way to put the eyes on, so I just tried to pipe them on free hand. The results weren't perfect, but these were free so I wasn't too concerned haha. After they were all done I drew on little mouth with my black Americolor pen, and set them up in some cute boxes I found for pretty cheap at Party City.
The final result. The kids loved them!

The other superhero order I had was for Spiderman Pops, another first for me that I was excited to try out. They started out with the same basic shape as the Batman Pops, minus the ears, which I dipped in Red Candy Melts. I really have to say, I love this cake store I found near my new house. The melts are always fresh and come out so smooth, it makes my job ten times easier!

When it came time to add on the web, I went back and forth between two options for a while. I really wanted to achieve the 3D look by piping it on in black chocolate, but at the same time I knew it would look much cleaner if I just drew it on. Ultimately I decided to use my handy Americolor black pen once again, and I think it was the right decision.

I will admit, the masks kind of looked like a mess at this point, and I was really worried about how the final product would look. However, once I filled in the eyes it really brought everything together. I melted my White Vanilla Candy Melts in the microwave, on the defrost setting this time. I don't think I will ever go back to using my microwave at full power, because I think it melted much smoother. Also, the chocolate got melty without getting too hot, so when I piped it on it just stayed there instead of running down spiderman's face.

And that's it! I had a blast making these guys, and I can't wait to see what challenges my next orders will bring!




No comments:

Post a Comment