Thursday, September 15, 2011

Microwave Cake & Hello Kitty Pops

This week I microwaved a cake for the first time ever! It was weird haha but it came out nice. I chose the microwave because cakes don't brown in there, and it keeps my White Cake Cake Pops looking white white white :)
This is after it sat in the fridge overnight - hence the plastic wrap
The recipe, and what I used it for, are after the break!

I originally found the recipe for microwave cake here and I only had to alter it slightly. It calls for Meringue Powder instead of eggs (which I luckily had left over from my Cake Decorating Class last year) because eggs I guess don't bake so well in the microwave. It tasted fine, and it rose, so I guess it all worked out? The only thing I did change was the microwave time. I had mine in there for 8 minutes before it passed the tooth pick test and the sides started pulling away from the dish. But I think I could have stopped it after 7:30, because it ended up being a little tough afterwards. I also followed advice I had seen on another microwave recipe, and covered the cake immediately for 5 minutes after it was done. This was supposed to keep some more of the moisture in.

I don't know that I would recommend this as a cake to eat plain, but for cake pops it worked out great. It was perfectly white, and although it was a bit dry, once I added the frosting to the crumbles it was good to go :)
It crumbled up super fine, and didn't hold
together at all until I added in the frosting.
And why did I need this extra white cake? So I could make Hello Kitty Pops and not worry about any dark spots showing through all the white!


Here's how I did it:
1. Make flattened oval shaped pops, chill and stick
2. Attach white chocolate chips for ears
3. Dip. Careful it's not too hot or the ears will melt and become round
Decorating Supplies
4. Attach yellow confetti sprinkles with corn syrup
5. Attach two heart shaped sprinkles with white chocolate
6. Attach red mini m&ms with red melts
7. Draw on the face. The eyes are the hardest part!
All done!
8. Enjoy! :)
See how nice and white it is inside! I love it!
And that's it - The story of my Hello Kitty Pops and my adventures with the Microwave :) I can't wait for my cousin Malena to see her pops this Saturday for her 10th Birthday Party! Her mom is making a Hello Kitty cake too, and I can't wait to see it all come together!

1 comment:

  1. patron_daniels@yahoo.comFebruary 14, 2012 at 5:39 PM

    These Hello Kitty Pops are so Adorable !!!

    ReplyDelete